Delicious Appetizers & Dipping Sauce
This recipe sounds way too delicious to pass by! Even though it's labor-intensive, everyone agrees it's totally worth the effort. Don’t skip the sun-dried tomatoes—they really make the recipe. And commenters advise that when you take out the egg wraps, be sure to use them one at a time. (Otherwise they tend to dry quickly, making them harder to work with.)
If you want to take a major short-cut, apparently, The Cheesecake Factory sells their tamarind-cashew dipping sauce to the public. Bottled leftover sauce can be used as a salad dressing or served over rice.
"These are incredibly delicious!! Just like the ones at Cheesecake Factory! For a low-fat version, drizzle them with a little bit of olive oil and bake them in a 400 degree oven."
—The Restaurant Recipe Blog
For the Dipping Sauce
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp
1/4 cup honey
1 pinch saffron or turmeric
1/4-1/2 cup chopped cashews
2/3 cup fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
2 green onions
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
For the Egg Rolls
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted,
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
dash of salt
4 egg roll wraps
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep-frying
- Stir together vinegars, tamarind, honey, and saffron in a microwave safe bowl, and "zap" for one minute. Stir until tamarind is dissolved.
- In a blender, puree tamarind mixture, cashews, cilantro, garlic, green onions, sugar, pepper, and cumin. Pour mixture into a bowl and add the oil. Stir until well-combined and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Gently stir together avocado, sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and salt. Place vegetable filling in the center of each egg roll wrapper, distributing evenly one at a time.
- Position a wrapper so that a corner is pointing toward you. Next fold the bottom corner up, about 1/4 of the way over the filling.
- Brush remaining corners and edges of the wrapper with egg. Roll up wrapper from side to side, folding top corner over all. Press firmly to seal. Repeat process with remaining wrappers.
- Deep-fry the egg rolls in 375 degree oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. (See Presto CoolDaddy Deep Fryer, above). Let oil drain off wrappers on brown paper bags.
- Slice egg rolls diagonally across middle and serve with prepared tamarind-cashew dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Source: Adapted from Todd Wilbur @ Food.com
Photos: PortofSanDiego, Shizzi, Cordey, gizzypooh, evadedave, misskaren, EmilieHardman (Flickr)
SUBSCRIBE: Did you enjoy this recipe? If you subscribe to my RSS Feed, you won't miss a single update.