Sassy Hostess Aprons
Shipping is FREE on orders over $25.
Click images for Discount Prices every day.
March 6, 2012
Recipe | Crème de Menthe Frosting
Did you know that a cocktail called the Grasshopper was popular in the U.S. during the 1950s and 60s? Named for it's green color, it was a shaken blend of Crème de menthe, Crème de cacao, and heavy cream. Lately, this brilliant mix of flavors has been reborn as cupcakes in bakeries across the country.
Here's a delightful recipe you can make for Saint Patrick's Day.
I've simplified the process by starting with a chocolate cake mix. Begin by preparing two dozen cupcakes according to the package directions. Line muffin pans with paper cupcake liners, and allow cupcakes to cool after baking.
• 5 large egg whites
• 1¼ cups granulated sugar
• 1/16 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter,
• ¼ cup green Crème de menthe
• chocolate sprinkles (optional)
1. Combine egg whites, sugar, and salt in the large bowl of an electric stand mixer. Place bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly by hand until the mixture is hot, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Attach the bowl to the electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium high speed for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the mixture forms a thick fluffy meringue and is cool to touch.
3. Stop the mixer, remove the whisk, and attach the paddle. On medium speed add the butter, approximately one tablespoon at a time. Mix 20 to 30 seconds after each addition. During this process, stop the mixer occasionally to scrape the mixture off the paddle and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
4. Add the crème de menthe and continue beating until the buttercream is thick and smooth; about another 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Frost the top of each cupcake using a small offset spatula. Or, pipe the frosting using a pastry bag and a #9 star decorating tip. Top with chocolate sprinkles if desired.
Pictured below is a more elaborate variation on this theme. The bakery used white crème de menthe (instead of green), polka dot cupcake liners, two kinds of sprinkles, and a hand-made glitter fourleaf clover.
Find More Recipes
1. Ultimate Recipe Swap (Thurs)
at Life as Mom
2. Foodie Friday at Battlebridge Farm
3. I'm Lovin' It (Fri) at TidyMom
4. Free for All Fri at Sassy Sites
5. Friday Swap at Grocery Cart Challenge
6. Weekend Wrap-Up (Fri) at Tatertots & Jello
7. Strut Your Stuff (Sat) at
Six Sisters Stuff
8. Sunday Showcase by
9. This Week's Cravings (Mon) at
Mom's Crazy Cooking
10. Tasty Tues at Beauty and Bedlam
11. Tues Talent Show at
12. W-F-M-W at We Are THAT Family
13. See More Links
Adapted recipe: The Baking Pan Bakery photos: clevercupcakes & sugardazecupcakes.com (Flickr)